Menu Management: Creating New Items & Assigning Modifier Groups and Modifiers
Menu Management: This document will advise on best practices for creating new items & assigning modifier groups and modifiers.
POS integrated Systems: The Maverick system operates on a one to one mapping with the local POS. When you need to update your menu with new items, modifier groups, or modifiers, the changes must be completed on the POS and then built into the Maverick system. If the parent child relationships and IDs between the two systems do not match, orders will not successfully transmit to the POS.
Login to https://maverick.rrtusa.net/ and click the Menu Tab from the left hand navigation menu and select the menu you want to edit.
Item Size Records
‘Item sizes’ Each item will need to be mapped to an item size record. If the item only comes in one size, e.g. a burger you will identify this by using the term ‘one size’. If the item comes in multiple sizes, e.g. a Fountain drink that comes in Small, Medium, Large, you will create the associated size records for each. *Note most of the sizes were already built during implementation
If you need to add a new size record to the menu category follow these steps:
- Click the edit icon on the menu section level
- Expand the ‘Item Size’ section of the page and click the ‘Add New Size’ button
- You will then fill out the Name, Display, and Description column for the size record. Typically all three of these are the same across the board.
- Make sure the size is set to active.
- Uncheck the “Default Select” & “All Items” column.
- Finally hit the blue “Update Section” button on the bottom right corner to save the section.
- Once you have your new size created you are ready to go back to configuring your new item(s).
New Item: Click to expand the menu Section where you want to add the new item. Hit the “+ Create New Item” buton.
You will then be prompted to definite the modifier method you will follow:
- Method A: “Duplicate Modifier Configuration from Existing Item?” Duplicating the modifier configuration allows you to automatically join the modifier group associations from another menu item to the new menu item you are creating. This includes linking all modifier groups, min/max rules, modifier group display order, & “comes with” modifiers.
- Method B: Or, click “No, Configure My Own”. This path will allow you to assign pre existing modifier groups to your new menu item.
Once you have chosen the modifier configuration method, you will need to configure the ‘Item Info’.
- Extern.: This is an optional field. This field should be filled in with the POS ID for the item. This is a quick reference field when looking for the POS ID. If you are not using a POS integrated ordering solution, you can leave this blank.
- Name: Display Name that will appear on the ordering site.
- Description: Description that will appear on the ordering site.
- Print Name: The item name that will appear on the POS when the order is submitted.
- Calorie Range: Optional. Enter the calorie range for all sizes of this item (for example: the item comes in a regular sandwich & a combo size, please enter the range for both sizes.)
- Active Flag: When adding a new item it is best practice to only activate the item at a test location, preferably a lab. Once the new item passes QA, the item should then be published out to the appropriate live locations. *Instructions for publishing changes below.
Item Size Records
‘Item sizes’ Identify and activate the correct item size(s) for each item and assign the External ID, tax group, price, and priority.
- Activate the Size Record: Each item will be associated with one or more sizes. For example, a salad may come in a size Small and Large. Each record will need to have an associated External ID.
- External ID: Item ID from the POS. The item must live in the POS for it to work with the Maverick online ordering system. If you are not using a POS integrated ordering solution, you can leave this blank.
- Tax Group: Used to define a different tax group per menu item. If all items use the same tax rate, this field will remain the same.
- Price: Enter the item price from the POS
- Priority: The priority defines the display order of the various item sizes. If there is only one size this field is null.
‘Modifier Groups’ Assign child records, aka modifier groups, to the item. Configure min/max rules, set the priority of modifier groups, and set “Comes With” modifiers.
- Method A: Using the Duplicate Modifier Configuration from another item. When you create an item using the Duplicate modifier method, modifier groups will be preassigned. You can update settings if desired. You can also assign new modifier groups.
- Method B: Using the Create Your Own Modifier Method allows you to choose the modifier groups to assign to the item from a list of all modifier groups.
- Expand the Modifier Group section of the item page, toggle the ‘Active’ flag to ‘All’. You will now see a list of all modifier groups that are available. Toggle ‘ON’ the groups you wish to associate to your item.
- Modifier Group Configurations
- Allowed: Modifier Groups linked to the parent item
- Min: Minimum selections per group. A forced modifier will have a configuration of 1.
- Max: Maximum selections allowed in the given modifier group.
- Price Override: a price override will allow the guest to have a certain dollar amount of modifiers for free before charging the guest.
- Display: The display name for the modifier group that will appear on the online ordering site.
- Price Max: Maximum dollar amount allowed for the modifier group.
- Priority: Establishes the Modifier Group display order. The modifier group with the higher value in the Priority column will mark the display order higher than other modifier groups with a lower display order value.
- Apply to Entire Section: Apply modifier group and modifier group settings to all items within the menu section.
- Comes With Modifiers: Used to define the ‘Ingredient’ modifiers. Expand the “Comes With” section of the modifier section. Hit the edit icon on the modifier group to assign “Comes With” modifiers. Click on the modifiers you wish to configure as “Comes With”. These modifiers will turn blue when you click on them and the modifiers will be preselected on the online ordering site.
Update Item & Propagate Changes
Upon hitting the Update Item button you will be prompted with a screen that allows you to save the change. You will be able to save changes to - MASTER MENU ONLY, ALL MERCHANTS, SOME MERCHANTS, or MERCHANT GROUP. *Note: When hitting the update button only attributes that have changed while editing the value will be updated to your selected locations. If no attributes have changed, nothing will propagate out upon saving.
- Master Menu Only: Saves the changes to the master menu, and no live locations.
- All Merchants: Saves changes to all merchants using the menu.
- Some Merchants: Select from a picklist of locations, and propagate the changes to the selected locations.
- Merchant Group: If you have merchant groups configured, you will be able to select from a list of the groups.
Testing & QA
When adding anything new to the menu, it is best practice to save the new additions to one test location, preferably a lab, but if a lab is not available, select one location and deem this location your test location. To properly test, submit a full order with the new menu items, modifier groups, and modifiers. Once the QA is complete, the menu additions are ready to be deployed to all necessary locations.