Menu Management: Creating New Modifier Groups & Modifiers (Brink POS)
Menu Management: This document will advise on best practices for creating new Modifier Groups & Modifiers. The Maverick system operates on a one to one mapping with the local Brink POS. When you need to update your menu with new modifier groups, or modifiers, the changes must be completed within the Brink Admin first and then built into the Maverick system. If the parent child relationships and IDs between the two systems do not match, orders will not successfully transmit to Brink.
Login to https://maverick.rrtusa.net/ and click the Menu Tab from the left hand navigation menu and select the menu you want to edit.
Modifier Group Configuration
New Modifier Groups: Once your menu is open, scroll to the very bottom of the page and click the blue ‘+ Create New Modifier Group’ button.
You will now be prompted to fill out the modifier group details.
- Name: Display name for the Modifier Group
- Description: Internal description for reference. Does not appear on the ordering site
- Modifier Type:
- Top: Standard setting for all modifier groups
- Side: requires custom development
- Interdependent: requires custom development
- Interdependent-1, -2, -3, -3c: requires custom development
- Priority: Defines the priority of the display order for the modifier group a it relates to other modifier groups. This can be edited on an item by item level as well.
- Active: Flag making the modifier group active or inactive
- Modifier Items: List of modifiers that belong to the modifier group separated by a semicolon. You will be able to add additional modifiers to this group after creation. Ex: Avocado; Black Beans; Salsa; Double Protein; Cheese
- Default Item Price: Set a default price for all modifiers in this group. If the modifiers carry different prices, you will be able to configure those on an individual basis
- Default Item Max: Default maximum selection for each modifier in the group. Using the value of 1 would allow a guest to choose one selection of any specific modifier in the group. Using a value of 5 would allow a guest to choose up to 5 selections of any specific modifier in the group.
- External ID: POS ID for the modifier group
Once all of the values are completely filled out click the blue ‘Submit’ button. Your new modifier group will now appear in the list of modifier groups on the main menu page. Next, click the + sign next to the modifier group name to see and edit the modifiers within your new group.
Configuring each modifier with the corresponding External IDs & pricing from Brink is very important. If IDs do not match, the order will not successfully be transmitted to Brink. If pricing is off, the Maverick system will hit the Brink API prior to checkout and will do a price adjustment on the checkout page of the ordering site if there is a variance between the two systems.
Open a modifier from the new modifier group you just created by hitting the edit icon next to the modifier.
This will bring you to a new screen where you will define price, external IDs, and exclusions. The fields under the ‘Edit Modifier Item’ section will be prefilled from the modifier group creation page, but feel free to edit or fill in missing fields. The External ID field under this section does not need to be filled out.
Fill in the modifier Price and External ID under the ‘Additional Modifier Prices by Size’ window. The External ID is a concatenation of the Modifier Group ID-Modifier ID. In the example above the modifier group ID=211294 and the modifier ID=208677, so the entry appears as 211294-208677. These values must be filled out for every modifier in the group.
Nested Modifier Configuration
Nested or Second Level Modifier configuration is also available in the Maverick Portal. An example of a nested or second level modifier is outlined below.
A guest orders a Hamburger that comes with a Side Salad:
The guest selects choice of dressing:
Configuration of Nested Modifiers:
- Expand the modifier group you wish to edit. We will use the Add On Salad Group for this example.
- Each option related to the Garden Modifier must have its own entry in the modifier group. The formatting is as follows. MODIFIER_ITEM_NAME=NESTED_MODIFIER_ITEM_NAME
- To create the new modifier entries within the modifier group, scroll to the bottom of the modifier group and click the red “+ Create New Modifier Item” button.
- Fill in the open values in the ‘Edit Modifier Item’ table for the Modifier Item Name & How Many Per Item. The print name will automatically fill in with the name from the Modifier Item Name field. External ID is not used here.
- Fill in the Price and the External ID fields in the ‘Additional Modifier Prices by Size’ table. The external ID for nested modifiers is a concatenation of the 1st Level Modifier Group ID-1st Level Modifier ID:2nd Level Modifier Group ID-2nd Level Modifier ID.
- The example External ID shown below is 4032241-4030850:4030848-4030879.
- All IDs and parent child relationships must map to the same IDs and parent child relationships within Brink.
Default Modifier Items vs. Exclusions:
Modifiers will be automatically set to a “Default” & “Active” status. This sets the modifier to visible in all scenarios where this Modifier Group-Modifier Item combination is related to a parent item.
Example: Parent Item A, Parent Item B, and Parent Item C all use the Burger+ Modifier Group. When the Avocado Modifier is set to the “Default” active status in the Burger+ Modifier Group, each parent item will display the Avocado Selection on the ordering site.
Example Con’t: If you want the Avocado modifier to only show for Parent Item A and Parent Item C, you will need to follow these instructions for exclusions.
- Toggle the “Default” line item to Inactive
- Toggle “Hide Inactive Menu Elements” from ON to OFF, this will show you all of the parent item size records that the modifier can be assigned to
- Activate the Parent Items by the Item Size record
- Fill In the price if it is a priced modifier
- Use the same external ID configuration for each size record that is active. ‘ModifierGroupID-ModifierID’
Save & Propagate Changes
Press the blue ‘Update Modifier Item’ button and select where you want to save the changes. Options: All Merchants, Master Menu Only, Some Merchants, or a Merchant Group. *Note: When hitting the update button only attributes that have changed while editing the value will be updated to your selected locations. If no attributes have changed, nothing will propagate out upon saving.
Testing & QA
When adding anything new to the menu, it is best practice to save the new additions to one test location, preferably a lab, but if a lab is not available, select one location and deem this location your test location. To properly test, submit a full order with the new menu items, modifier groups, and modifiers. Once the QA is complete, the menu additions are ready to be deployed to all necessary locations.
Article is closed for comments.